LOS ANGELES, CA — In celebration of talented new filmmakers, UCLA Extension hosts its seventh annual UCLAxFilmFest on September 9-12, 2022, a virtual event. The film festival celebrates storytelling with twenty (20) exceptional short films by current students and alumni from around the world. The Entertainment Studies program at UCLA Extension is known as an incubator of artistic and diverse talents in the craft of filmmaking.
The festival highlights the exceptional shorts of these filmmakers and features industry panels and discussions, networking, and ends with an awards presentation for Best Film, Best Director, Best Film Score, Audience Choice, Best Unique & Artistic Film, and Entertainment Studies Award.
This year’s virtual UCLAxFilmFest is free and open to global audiences. The UCLAxFilmFest kicks off at 5 pm on September 9th and registration is required for viewing.
This year’s Official Film Selections:
A Matter of Time, Written & Directed by Yang Liu*, Produced by Yudong Guan & Yang Liu*
- Apart, Directed by Ziling “Jolyn” Mei, produced by Jiarui Guo*Written by Ziling “Jolyn” Mei & Menghan Cheng
- A Sense of Joy, Written, Directed & Produced by Roisin Jones, Composed by John Kelleher*
- Dandelions, Directed & Produced by Kate Cobb*, Written by Kevin Bigley
- Fight for the Future, Produced by Hongtao Yang* & Yu Ding, Directed by Xiaowei Liu
- Found Family, Directed by Esmee Lavalette*, Produced by Ginevra Atti*, Written by Cassandra Burge, Scored by Ameya Saraf*
- From the Inside, Written & Directed by Carlota Busquets Estela* & Gisela Estrenjer
- Produced by Carlota Busquets Estela*, Gisela Estrenjer, & Anna Escribano
- Ghosted, Directed by Emelie Claxton, Produced by Tina Riccio*, Written by Lindsay Kelly
- Horseback, Written & Directed by Shu Ya, Produced by Yi Cheng*
- Imelda and Luis, Written, Directed, and Produced by Leonel Chee*, Produced by Ale Garcia and Antonio Urdapilleta
- Kept, Written & Directed by Dilara Senbilgin*, Produced by Natalie Simpkins, Scored by Mert Cetinkaya
- Light On, Written, Directed & Produced by: Hugo Carpentier, Romain Logé, Laura Moracchini, and Richard Moulin*
- Lines, Directed by Celeste Hoang*, Written by Paul Knauer, Produced by Celeste Hoang & Nancy Sanchez*
- Oh No! A Computer, Written, Directed & Produced by Gordon Schaye*
- Pillow, Written & Directed by Isabel Mazzolini*, Produced by Jessica Kenney & Louis Ramirez
- The Death of a Know Man, Written & Directed by Alondra Martinez*, Produced by Alondra Martinez* & Raul GG
- The Studio Assistant, Written & Directed by Glenn Kimball*, Produced by Katrina Rotondo* & Glenn Kimball*, Scored by Miguel Mariaca*
- The Wish, Written, Directed & Produced by Regan Patterson*
- Those People, Written & Produced by Jenny Taher*, Directed by Tasha-Gordon Solmon
- Zabezoo Ears N’ Tail, Produced by Anna Lobacheva and Eugene Lobachev*, Directed by Zakhar Marmosetty, Written by Alexander Alfeev and Alexander Filyurin
Watch the UCLAxFilmFest trailer here. See movie posters here.
During the UCLAxFilmFest panels explore leveraging short films and the festival experience to launch a career in entertainment and the film business. This year’s judges include Kim Adelman, Producer, Author, “Making It Big in Shorts,” and UCLA Extension Distinguished Instructor; Scott Edwards, Executive VP Creative Advertising and UCLA Extension Instructor, Fox Studios; Samuel Gonzalez, Jr., Award-winning Director; Justine Raczkiewicz, Director and Producer; and Myles Yaksich, Writer, Director, Producer. Panels and discussions are available to all attendees. Sign up here to watch and attend from September 9-12, 2022.
The UCLAxFilmFest is grateful for the ongoing and generous support of its founding sponsors: FOX Entertainment, Final Draft, Chemical Wedding, Entertainment Partners, and Shift.
Join the celebration at the UCLAxFilmFest.
Entertainment Studies, led by Pascale Cohen-Olivar, Director of the Arts at UCLA Extension, offers dynamic professional training in Film, TV, and Music by focusing on the art and business of entertainment. Each year, Entertainment Studies offers over 250 individual courses and specialized certificates in Acting, Business and Management of Entertainment, Cinematography, Directing, Entertainment Studies, Film and TV Development, Film Scoring, Independent Music Production, Independent Producing, Music Business, Producing and the newly launched Post-Production Certificate for Film and Television.
About UCLA Extension
Founded in 1917 as the continuing education division of the University of California at Los Angeles, UCLA Extension has delivered the most advanced courses and certificates that annually enhance the careers of thousands of individuals across the United States and around the world. UCLA Extension offers online and in-person courses for professionals in the arts, business, management, engineering and digital technology, entertainment studies, public policy, health care, humanities, and social sciences, and more. Fall quarter classes begin on September 19, 2022. Find out more at uclaextension.edu.
* UCLA Extension student